Affordable Orthodontist in Austin
It is highly doubtful that ancient Greek philosophers had a social media presence where they “posted” smiling images of themselves to attract “friends”. There is evidence, however, that both Aristotle and Hippocrates pondered on methods to straighten teeth.
Aside from improving their ability to chew food, perhaps they were the first people to notice that straight teeth were more attractive than crooked ones. About 2200 years later, French dentist, Pierre Fauchard used thread to connect flat metal strips inside one’s mouth and thus became the inventor of “modern” braces.
Orthodontics as a special branch of dentistry began in the 19th century with the use of gold and steel to create loops, hooks, and other configurations to straighten teeth. The use of rubber bands in braces emerged in the mid-1850s. Finally, in 1930 the name of the American Society of Orthodontia formed in 1901 was replaced with a new name, the American Association of Orthodontists (AAO) and this is the current professional association for orthodontists.
There are many types of braces that are in use today including:
- Metal Braces – These are attached to the teeth by your orthodontist and can only be removed by an orthodontist. The wires are gradually tightened over time to correct most alignment and bite problems. The major drawbacks are their appearance that causes much grief to younger wearers and they can be difficult to clean.
- Ceramic Braces – these are about the same as the metal ones but without the silver metal appearance.
- Lingual Braces – these are attached to the back of the teeth, so they are not visible but might cause one to speak oddly while getting used to the brace.
- Invisalign – These braces are the answer to the metal and ceramic braces. They are practically invisible and can correct simple and more complex alignment problems. The best feature is that they can be removed for eating and dental hygiene.
- Six Month Smiles – these are used for minor cosmetic corrections and get their name because they can correct your front teeth in about half a year.
Along with the advances in orthodontics, the electronic society emerged. The room size computers of old were replaced with cell phones and cathode ray tube TVs are now large screen HDTVs. “Windows” is no longer just glass-covered holes in a wall. Out of these new technologies, online services became a new way to do business.
SelectBraces is an online service that uses the new communication technologies to link up orthodontists with consumers who need the most up-to-date orthodontic treatments. Based in Columbus, Ohio, SelectBraces is the “brainchild” of Emily Beglin who saw the need for an online directory exclusive to qualified orthodontic specialists that allow consumers to find a qualified and Affordable Orthodontist in Austin and not have to wade through an “ocean” of general dentistry directories. A quick search for orthodontists in Austin, Texas alone yields 20 results in a 20-mile radius using the locater in SelectBraces.com.
If you are an orthodontist in the Austin, Texas area and have CODA or CDAC accreditation you will want to list your practice with SelectBraces not only to increase your business but also for the online resources offered.
And if you are a busy mom with a kid in need of affordable orthodontic treatment, you can call SelectBraces at 614-726-1878 or use the online form to send a message or search for an affordable orthodontist in Austin area.Affordable Orthodontist In Austin